Monday, May 4, 2015

Germany/Hungary wish list...

So, I'm two weeks out from heading to Europe for a second time.
The first was four years ago, visiting Erick in Poland while he was a Rotary exchange student.  While there, we were able to see some amazing things--Solidarity's monument/museum in Gdansk, the city of Torun, Colditz, and spent nice evenings with two of his host families and explored Bydgoscz....of course, there was also the overnight stay in Poznan's rail station (pay the city of Poznan burn in fire for a thousand years...).  Did I mention my days in Franfurt with friend Guenter...who treated me to a Scorpions concert in Frankfurt's big concert hall?

This time, I'm getting to spend a few more days with Guenter in Bad Nauheim, then I'll fly to Budapest to visit my daughter who is an exchange student in Debrecen.  I've got a wish list (sort of) of things worth doing with my time in Europe--beyond the really obvious one of spending time with my friend and my daughter!
  1. Koblenz to research my grandfather's (and his brother's) official war service records.
  2. Bicycle around Frankfurt (Guenter's idea...I'm game)
  3. Visit the University of Debrecen library.  Geeky?  Sure--but before Brigitte headed to Hungary, I used that library in a book I'm trying to get published.  I want to actually see it!
  4. Budapest's Museum of Horrors (political) and the Medical Museum there--the Medical one plays a role in the book I'm writing currently.
  5. Try some new foods.  No idea what...just yummy.
  6. With Erick, his host families taught me so much about life under communism.  I'm looking forward to that from Brigitte's host parents.
  7. I'm hoping to maybe walk the Budapest Csepel district where workers held out the longest against the Russians in 1956.
  8. I'm looking forward to seeing the Danube.
  9. Brigitte's school--Erick's was a blocky (ugly) Communist concrete building and he had a long bus ride AND walk to get there each day from his last host family's house.  What's my daughter's like?
  10. Hungarian trains.  German ones were clean and efficient--pretty German.  Polish ones...well, they were always late.  I loved the culture of it though--every Pole KNEW the trains ran late, so they always knew when the follow-up train was coming and its schedule as well, EXPECTING to need it instead!
So let's see what else can get added to this.  Then let's see what else I can find. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment